Monday, July 18, 2011

The Bachelorette Episode 8: Hometown Emotion

The show started off in Philadelphia, "Ashley's hometown." I could have sworn Ashley was from some random city close to Canada that eats gravy on their french fries. Google research tells me that it's called poutine. That sounds as gross as the picture looks.

Date #1: Greek Groban in Cumming, Georgia

It's a REALLY good thing I didn't do the bottle of wine routine tonight, because Greek Groban's hometown is called...see above. I can't even write it twice without feeling like I need to go to confession.

When we nicknamed Constantine, Greek Groban, I don't think we realized just how stereotypically Greek this guy is. His father's name is Dimitri. There was a baby named Athena. The family danced in circles. Ya-Ya sat on the couch. His family owns a restaurant that specializes in feta.

Ashley is so smitten with Groban's looks. It appeared that she wasn't the only lady in C*mm!n$ that likes Constantine. As they kissed outside the restaurant, all of the restaurant servers oohed and ahhed in jealousy.

I thoroughly enjoyed the hell out of all interviews with Dimitri. I felt like it was my introduction to the Greek Rosetta Stone. Ashley had obviously purchased the program beforehand because she said that the conversations with the Grobans went "better than any conversation she's had in a long time."

Bold Prediction: Greek Groban wins it all. Liz thinks it's not such a bold pick because I can say I thought I was predicting Sonoma Ben to win if Ben wins it all.

Date #2: Chad Ford, PA and El Douche

El Douche has a really crackly voice. Just noticed that.

The Douches looked completely uninterested in the process. El Douche's sister is named Serena. She was concerned that Ashley isn't all that interested in El Douche. Serena may not be a professional tennis player, but she knows how to serve up some relationship criticism.

Serena continued her meddling/astute observations with El Douche. Serena spilled the beans that Ashley wants a ring at the end of the process. El Douche looked like he got muay thai punched in the face again.

El Douche ended the date by taking Ashley to his "favorite tree." I found a picture of my favorite tree so you could see it and maybe we can have a picnic there:


Ashley ended the date by saying that she likes how she and Douche think alike. I guess if El Douche went to Arizona State and didn't recycle, they would think alike.

Date #3: Sonoma Ben...you guessed it...in Sonoma

In a totally money move that will be lost on Ashley, Sonoma Ben takes her straight to his vineyards. Unfortunately for Sonoma Ben, Ashley has a favorite wine already:


Turns out Ashley is only the second gal that Sonoma has ever brought home. I liked his sister right away when she ripped on his hair.

When pushed by his sister about whether he would propose at the end, he said "I would have no problem proposing if she picked me." I'm sure that's exactly what Ashley would want to hear.

I nearly had to turn the TV off when Ben got emotional about his father. Next to Ryan's proposal to Trista, that was the most emotional I've ever gotten during an episode. I'm convinced that Ashley isn't fit to swirl Sonoma Ben's Bordeaux blend.

Date #4: Roslyn, NY - the best Cupcake around

Cupcake started off the episode by saying how excited he was to be back in Long Island. Ouch.

Cupcake took Ashley roller skating. I wasn't so thrilled for this date, but I was thrilled to be introduced to this music video:


Liz made a bold prediction: no matter who wins, none of these relationships lasts more than 6 months. I'm not convinced there's anything particularly "bold" about that prediction.

Ashley got to Cupcake's parents house for dinner and made a snippy comment about eating carbs. I'm really starting to dislike her. Fake dentistry, insecurity, throwing away aluminum cans in the trash, and now ripping on carbs...my favorite food group.

Cupcake is confident that his heart is not going to get broken because he has something with Ashley that "none of the other guys have." Now we're talking. A little arrogance makes the fall at the end even harder. Cupcake went all in on that statement.


Cupcake got played by his Mom at the end when she busted out his Bar Mitzvah mullet poster. Once again, I wish I could have had a Bar Mitzvah. First Communion and Confirmation are just not a good enough religious party.

Rose Ceremony

Do we even need 20 minutes devoted to this? El Douché is getting sent home. Liz is hoping El Douche is the next Bachelor. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I might actually agree. He's a pretty interesting and occasionally funny guy. Plus, he likes Magnolia trees. My kind of tree hugger.

Rose #1: Sonoma Ben (sporting a new haircut)
Rose #2: Cupcake (not sporting hair)
Rose #3: Greek Groban (sporting lots of hair...as always)

As not-so-boldly predicted above, El Douche got sent home. His Ivy League brain couldn't compute. He now leaves to "go start a lifetime of adventures, with himself, which is, less enticing." Get this guy to a therapist.

Until next week in Fiji.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you, Wags. The dugans returned from vacation last night and settled into a little Bachelorette hometown date. When not blogging, I feel like I pay far less attention, but your post confirmed I downloaded the episode's highlights. How about Greek Groban's home? Who knew strip mall italian restaurants were so profitable?

    But then I remembered some of the HGTV shows we watch, and I am always blown away by the relative low prices of the Atlanta suburbs. Perhaps Cumming is such a place (a quick trulia search proved this to be true).

    Greek Groban has a solid date, Winemaker could win over a lot of hearts with the winery fairytale. Cupcake is fading fast in my mind - which is probably right where Fless & Co. want me. My bold prediction: Cupcake's slide has been editing tricks and he will come out in the end. So now, WWT has picked EACH of the final 3 contestants to win.

    El Douche turned out to be anything but. I almost regret naming him that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wags - Fine review as always.

    My highlight of last night's episode was Dimitri making it rain while the women danced in a circle.

    The lowlight had to be when Ashley compared her thoughts to Ames (who, like Govin, I have come to be very fond of during this season)...if she meant that they both thought Emily was going to be the next Bachelorette, then yes, they think alike. But outside of that, I don't think the dental student has every had a deep cogent thought this entire season.

    Non-episode highlight: Bachelor Pad preview - Jake and Vienna together again = Emmy.

    WWT new bulletin - while researching wineries for upcoming trip to Sonomoa - I discovered that Ben's winery apparently does not have tours (though we may show up anyways)but he does sell his wine at a certain Italian/Greek/American strip mall restaurant in Cumming, GA: http://evolvewines.com/find-us/

    ReplyDelete
  3. That review had me cracking up time and time again....way more exciting than the actual episode...

    *I think that Groban's family is the only thing keeping him in the game. He looks like a blood hound, and it creeps me out.
    *can't lie, i'm not gonna miss el douche's 6 veneers all that much, but he does get sympathy points for going from high school geek to the bachelor.
    *Who the hell new roller skating rinks still even existed? Cupcake is super hott, but obviously hasn't recovered from the past girlfriend who probably cheated on him or something.
    *And Ben must have a past full of slaying chicks left and right after getting them drunk on his wine-it's written all over his hair. is the player finally ready to settle down? The whole dad scene was sweet though, i'll give him that. sigh


    Either way, I'm even more over Ashley and her terrible fake eye lashes than ever before. I've never looked forward to the stupid tell-all episodes, but it's honestly gonna be nice to have a break from her. ouch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brit,

    Very nice to have you on the blog. You brought up something interesting. What the hell happened between Cupcake and his ex? Could they have dwelled on that any more?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I predict Ames or Ben as next bachelors. I wish we could have had more of the creepy Ames brother. I also think Cupcake freaks out and brings up what his ex did in Fiji, thus ruining his relationship with Ashley. Usually, I would think that, that would normally sign him up to be the next bachelor, but I dont think they are interested in having a construction worker as bachelor. That is too Joe Millionaire for Fless and Co.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am late in the game but do feel a strong need to call out what I considered the most awkward moment in Bachelor/Bachelorette history - the handshake goodbye between Ames and Ashley. I mean - really?!? I literally rewinded my DVR and watched it 3 times until I couldn't take it anymore. Contestants gets hugs after the first cocktail party and you give this poor guy a handshake after meeting his family and going to his favorite tree? Have a heart Ashley... (And, I too, must admit having a very soft spot for El Douche by this point in the season...guess we all learned a little something from this season).

    ReplyDelete