Tuesday, January 8, 2019

The Bachelor Episode 1: Wetter and Virginous

Ok, off to a rocky start. Don't worry friends, the most suboptimal blog on the Bachelor is back! Even though you likely didn't miss us, we'll labor on for you and look forward to dive into another season featuring former NFL player Colton. While the Dugan family managed to see Mary Poppins, Grinch and Ralph Breaks the Internet over the recent holiday break, we didn't squeeze in Aquaman. Pretty sure I saw enough of Wet Colton during last night's premier to make up for it.


Colton’s a wet Virgin. We get it, ABC. This virginity hook will get very old, very soon. I've always thought this show was an allegory on life and getting very old, very soon about sums up life so far. I must admit I didn't have 3 hours of Bachelor watching in me last night and fast forwarded through the live remotes around the country. Bachelor alums all over the nation prove how good Chris Harrison is at this job. HOLD THE PHONE! NEIL LANE IS IN THE HOUSE!!!

Why we watch

We get introduced to some of the girls. Cassie is a speech pathologist who's in grad school. Hannah Alabama is Miss Alabama who describes herself as the "hot mess express." Ok, I'm listening. Katie is a dancer, Heather, aka Sixpence None the Richer, is 22 and has never been kissed. Like, even by her parents? Never? Or are we just limiting this to romantic kisses. I need to know whether I should be laughing or crying, ABC!

Onyekachukwe Ehie, aka the Nigerian Nightmare, is a 24 yr old IT Risk Consultant. Miami represents with Nicole, aka Camila Cabello, a 25 year old social media consultant. Kirpa is a Dental Hygienist from Whittier, California. 

We meet Demi in Texas, but all I want to know about is her mom. Dad is with stepmom but plenty of people get divorced. We find out that Demi's mom is in federal prison. Get out your PACER accounts, friends! We need details.



Some Virgin Talk




It's been seconds since it was last brought up, so Chris and Colton decide to discuss his virginity. He also talks about the issue with Erica McNut. Colton contradicts himself repeatedly.

At times, he explains it "just happened" because he was a fat, awkward kid growing up. Other times he claims it was a "conscious decision." Did it "just happen" or was it a "conscious decision"? Actually, I do feel like there is some truth in there. It kind of just happened and then he was a virgin in life later than most and it became a more significant thing to him that he wanted to keep for the right time and place.

"It's a conscious decision"

Colton knows it's going to be an issue. He's worried about his inexperience and whether the girls will think he's "not romantic." Chris Harrison, however, comes in from the TOP ROPE! He tells Colton he has to worry whether the girls think "he's not a man!"

Almost there, coach Gundy.

Let's meet the girls

  • Texas Demi comes out strong, “I have not dated a virgin since I was 12…”
  • Tayshia is a Cally Phlebotomist
  • Heather, aka Sixpence, is another Cally girl, 22
  • Nicole, Dugan's Miami favorite drops some great quotes later, aka Camilla Cabello
  • Caelynn, is 23 and Miss North Carolina
  • Sydney, is a Knicks Dancer 
  • Elyse, 31, is a make up artist from AK. Is that Alaska or Arkansas? It's not like anyone ever mails those two places so why would you know?
  • Tahzjuan, aka Tarzan, is a 25 business development associate from Colorado
  • Teacher Cassie is 23
  • Kirza the Dental Hygienist from Whittier, CA
  • Caitlin is another Canada funny girl, 25 realtor 
  • Courtney is our Ga Peach
  • Katie, 26 is the dancing medical sales rep
  • A sloth showed up. 
  • Nigerian Nightmare
  • McNut
  • Hannah Alabama
  • Tracy shows up in a police car as the Fashion Police, 31. I wouldn't care but Camila Cabello responded with a great quote: “Thank god for the fashion police because I've never seen so many sequins in my life” followed by “If another pageant girl comes, I’m out.” Camila is my girl.
  • Angelique - Jersey girl
  • Devin, Broadcast Journalist 23
  • Revian, Nurse, 24
  • Nina, 30, Croatian girl
  • Alex, aka Paw Patrol is a 29 yr old dog rescuer
  • Bri, aka Outback, is a 24 year old model and fake Australian. Get it.
  • Laura, 26, Dallas accountant
  • Hannah G is a 23 year old content creator from Birmingham, Alabama. She is not to be confused with Hannah B, a 23 year old from Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Are you kidding me Fless & Co?
  • Annie, finally, a New Yorker is 23 and...went to the University of Alabama. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
  • Jane is a 26 social worker
  • Catherine, aka Brightline (more on that later) is a 26 DJ from Fort Lauderdale. I didn't read many bios but Brightline peeked my interest. Of note? She doesn't have any tattoos because "you don't put a bumper sticker on a Ferrari." Her favorite author is Dr. Seuss.
  • Cinderella, aka Erin, is 28, Plano TX

PARTY TIME.

Quick recap time!

  • The girls like Colton
  • Demi is going to cause a lot of drama this season and begins by grabbing him first. 
  • Miss North Cackalacka gets the first kiss
  • Brightline is Fort Lauderdale's own Catherine. If you don't know, Brightline is our recent trainwreck of a public transit system. Recently introduced, it's killed more people than Florida's most famous serial killer, Ted Bundy
  • One of the Hannah Alabamas got the first impression rose.
  • Clemson keeps scoring.
Rose Ceremony

Miss North Cackalacka
Dancer Katie
Paw Patrol, aka Alex B
Hannah Alabama
Nigerian Nightmare, aka Onyeka
Caitlin
Annie
Kirza
Sixpence, aka Heather
AK Elyse 
Tayshia
Courtney
Teacher Cassie
Demi (THIS GIRL NEEDS A NICKNAME! HIVE MIND UNITE!)
Somebody?
McNut
Knicks Dancer Cindy
Outback, aka Bri
Angelique
Tracy
Camila Cabella, aka Nicole
Brightline, aka Catherine

Friends, remember the little things when you are watching. This show is high comedy. Fleiss & Co. setting up Devin's exit interview while the rose recipients "cheers" each other in the background.
Bravo!

2 comments:

  1. As we were having our bi-annual, "Are we really blogging again?" discussion, I thought, "We're getting too old for this." And then I remembered we were too old for this 10 years ago. And then I read your post and I am once again glad we're blogging.

    The Neil Lane episode 1 appearance was a really good sign for this season.

    All those Colton showers had me focused on one thing: his hairline. I think we might have a future bald on our hands. I will like him 25% more if that's the case. I will be watching his hairline closely throughout the season.

    Sometimes I have to remind myself that Arkansas is a state. I don't think I've ever met anybody from there. Dugan, do you encounter people from AK? Or is it AR?

    Roll Tide.

    Miss North Cacklacka is my favorite nickname so far.

    So your obvious favorite is Camila Cabela.
    I think she'd be a strong contender in most seasons. Unfortunately, there's no way this dude is going for her. His first impression rose spoke volumes; he's choosing a girl that looks like she's in high school and is blonde (and there are quite a few options in that category this season).

    Cheers to the beginning of a great blog season. Our writing will prove that we are men.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew an Iranian doctor who had a vacation home in Hot Springs, Arkansas. He raved about its beauty. But that's about as close as I'm going to get to Arkansas. Come to think of it, Hillary Clinton should have really played up her role as first lady of Arkansas. You think I'm an elitist New Yorker? I WAS ARKANSAS'S FIRST LADY!%&@ She likely had to wear a tiara. Odds of seeing a tiara this season? 100%

    I agree we may have a future bald on our hands. I remain a plump man, but full head of hair. I wonder if overweight people (men?) obsess over weight as much as balds over hair? This is a safe place where we can discuss these issues.

    I liked Camila at home. She lost 15 lbs from the Miami Camila to LA Camila. It's obvious that the producers and showrunners convince these women the camera adds 25 lbs. They are all anorexic.

    AND...yes, we are way too old. Do we have another 10 years in us? Will lil Dugan be applying to be on the show?

    ReplyDelete