Friday, May 22, 2009

So You Think You Can ....WHAT?

This is the other TV watcher signing on to blog today. (Can I be "TV gal"?) I know you are used to reading Tim's witty, silly and humorous observations on television's finest - while my contribution(s) have been limited to using this forum in a slightly different way. Hello, Soapbox.

Last night marked the beginning of the 5th season of a beautiful journey of remarkable dancers under 30 impressing us with their skill and creativity. I associate So You Think You Can Dance with warm summer evenings, exciting new choreography, talented young men and women and a judge who is wacky and warm as Paula Abdul only wishes she had the emotional control to be.

Something happened last might that will change this forever. You know that friend who can say anything totally outrageous and get away with it? And s/he always has the best one-liners. You know you're guaranteed a good time together. It's going to be great. Until that time when s/he makes a totally disgusting and outrageously offensive comment. You might try to laugh it off but it's a little uncomfortable this time. You get that feeling in your stomach like you might throw-up, you can't focus on the rest of the conversation around you and you're pretty sure you aren't smiling or laughing anymore. That's it. That's what happened to me last night when the judges remarked on two male ballroom dancer-hopefuls who tried out for the show. The audition was mediocre at best. There were some shaky moments, some technical issues and even a bad fall. When the performance concluded, the judges began to comment. The first comment I remember was, "This show isn't for you. You will alienate our viewers." Other comments included such backwards and antiquated ideas like "I couldn't tell which one is the female" and so on.
I hope you all are retching like I was. I know I haven't adequately described the experience, check out Perez' articulate depiction and opinion. Or, just google "So You Think You Can Dance Homophobia"

I guess the good news is ... none of you even watch the show anyway!

3 comments:

  1. Dugan is proud that he never watches that show. In addition, I make a conscious effort to not watch anything* on the Fox network. I acknowledge this is hypocritical since I am watching on DirecTv which is owned by Rupert Murdoch anyhow.




    *anything does not include the NFL, MLB, or NCAA events

    ReplyDelete
  2. I won't lie, I watched that episode and I watch some of the episode last night too. It's not a bad show, I like to think of the words of one young Matt Harrigan while I watch "I just wanna dance!!"... Anyone else who watched the first show notice what was going on with the 3rd judge Sonya? She was really into the dancing if you know what I mean. I am pretty sure at some point during the show she had an alone moment. That was as nice as I could put it on this blog. I don't want this to turn classless, as Dugan was to Larry Burchett.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a long comment on this but then I felt it was in violation of the Sisois-Karlin Electronic Communications Act of 2000

    ReplyDelete